Tuesday 20 August 2013

Weighty Matters

Sooooo here I am at 27 weeks - almost at the end of the second trimester!

This week, the husband and I have been mostly confused by the sensitive issue of pregnancy weight gain.

I'll be honest I was not a svelte and toned female before I got pregnant. BUT not too far off, just carrying about 14-18 pounds too many.

However - there are many guidelines recommending the average weight gain depending on your BMI. We all know that BMI is not the most useful weight management tool, being that it fails to take into about your general health and body shape (muscles weigh more than fat).
My BMI was 29 but at a size 12-14 I would not be considered bordeline obese (thanks GOVERNMENT) in most clothing stores. 

The midwives and doctors did not bat an eyelid at my starting weight and I do admit that I made a concious decision to be healthy from the get go.

Here we are at 25 weeks down the line and I have gained a grand total of.....6 pounds?!

Soooooo either something is wrong or these guidelines are just that...guidelines.

The midwives are still not in the slightests bit concerned and I am curious as to why I haven't gained more.

I can only assume that morning sickness may have led me to lose some weight + my much healthier diet - all the alcohol that I was consuming which has now been reduced to a glass once a week have cancelled each other out and led me to a very small weight gain just around my uterus and boobs!

I obviously am eating when hungry and will make sure that my diet continues being varied and wholesome but I am not going to stress about weight guidelines - if the professionals are happy then so am I

Symptoms

Some back pain with prolonged standing but other than that nothing, and definitely have the 'glow'!

photo credit: CrazyFast via photopin cc

No comments:

Post a Comment